Thursday, December 1, 2016

DUP Ladies' Sweet Potato Casserole



I have 2 different recipe options that I take my pick or mix/match ingredient list.  I don't remember exactly which way I have done it when and honestly I probably do a combination of both and use as many yams as I want to fill the pan, so I'll share both ingredient lists.  You can certainly reduce the butter to cut down on the fat and calories. UPDATE: in 2021 Lara introduced a recipe variant with 1/2 cup shredded coconut in the topping. Definitely do that if possible!

6 large yams*
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
Topping:
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 c. flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans (I have been known to use walnuts--don't judge)

OR
4 cups mashed sweet potato/yams*
1/3 c. melted butter
2 Tbsp sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
Topping:
1/3 cup pecans, chopped
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp butter

Mix yams, butter, sugar; beat in eggs (and milk).  Pour into 2 quart casserole (I use a regular size cake pan).  Combine pecans, brown sugar, and flour.  Stir in melted butter and sprinkle over the mixture. 
Bake at 325 for 1 hour.

*Prep tip: I have found that baked yams taste better than boiled yams and discovered that you can cook yams in the skin in a crock pot and it's basically like baking them, but so much easier! Just scrub and put them in a crock pot and turn it on high or low, depending on how much time you want them to cook (all day or overnight on low and high for part of the day). You can usually tell when they are done because they smell amazing, but check and make sure they are soft. Turn off the crock pot and take off the lid and when they are cool enough to handle you can pretty much slip off the peels and trim off any unsightly parts and then mash them when they are warm. If I am not using them immediately I toss them in a gallon ziploc bag and mash them with my hands, you can do this days before or you can freeze mashed yams in the bag for future use.

No comments:

Post a Comment