Saturday, June 1, 2019

Homemade Bread Recipes

This is the recipe from the Peterson's Bosh Kitchen Center Class Recipes that Mom used most recently.

I haven't been very successful with it, I have had more success recently using this recipe.


Marie Holmes’ Whole Wheat Bread
(her husband was our Bishop in the Berkeley student ward)
Makes 4 loaves/3 loaves

5 cups warm water/3 ¾ C
⅔ c. vegetable oil/1/2 C
⅔ c. honey/1/2 C
2 Tbsp yeast/1 ½ T
2 Tbsp salt/1 ½ T
About 12 cups whole wheat flour/9 C

Mix water, oil, honey and yeast with 6 cups flour until well blended, cover and let rest 10 minutes.
Add salt and remaining flour, more flour as needed.  Knead 10 min (on 1st speed of mixer).
Form into loaves and place in greased loaf pans.  Let rise 30-45 min (maybe longer), should double.
Bake 30-35 min at 350 degrees.

I usually use about half wheat flour, half bread flour and I add about 1 T of gluten.  I set the oven to 150 degrees while I am putting the bread in pans.  I put oil in the pans as I put the dough in and spin it around like Mom used to. Then I turn off the oven and put the bread in to rise with a cloth over them.  When they are risen I just take off the cloth and leave them in and turn on the oven to preheat. When Mom had more bread dough than what would fit in bread pans she used an old yeast can (it was pretty tall and about the size of a bread pan) and we would have round bread. I remember feeling like that was weird one morning when we had a field trip and I was taking cold lunch and my sandwich was made with round bread. I thought I would be teased by the other kids. On the contrary, the other kids thought it was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment